Vans Fake Guide

eBay reports, outlets, discount stores, etc.
Crimson Ghost
UTPL General
UTPL General

Vans Fake Guide

Post by Crimson Ghost »

Alright, I don't know English good enough to write an entire fake guide, so I'm counting on everybodys help. I need all your ideas, fake vs. legit photos, everything that newbies should pay attention to, details etc.

First rule: Google for accuracy!

1. Known fake sellers:
- andrewzw2012
- superspark20092009
- mooneicolai9641
- fushougo
- happyseller16888
- abbie2050
- mindy_10
- nmgyhl
- capricorn.shop
- xservicex
- http://berth19.weebly.com/vans--updated.html

2. Fake Vans on eBay mostly come from Hong Kong (or should we just say Asia?).

3. Things you need to pay attention to:
- Overall shape of the shoe - if you're not sure, google particular Vans model and check photos. For example: fake Vans have less eyelets - Chukka Lows have 3, fake Old Skools 7, fake Zapato Del Barcos have no padding on the collar. Pay attention to the details like too fat wave on Old Skools or crooked wave, upper/midsole ratio (is that a correct term?), crooked/inaccurate stitching, too short toeboxes (or other parts of the shoe). Vans very rarely adds sb-style laces to classic releases (known exception - Grid Pack), you can also tell that the shoe is fake by too fat flat laces. Designers of fakes like to go nuts with shapes.

- Midsole. Even though Vans outsorced their production to Asia, they still pay attention to the look of the midsole. Again: google particular model and check for accuracy. Fakes are known of having too short toe bumpers, too fat foxing stripes. Another thing you need to pay attention to is cut of the toe bumper. Vans usually has either straight cut (90 degrees angle) in most Vault releases, all Syndicate releases (need checking) and all Pro versions (also need checking, I don't remember) or round cut in all general releases and some Vault releases like Ray Barbee pack. Fakes on the other hand have round cut that looks almost like straight cut with a sharp angle (is that a correct term?). You also need to pay attention to the position of the foxing stripe. All vans releases have stripe close to the top of the foxing, fakes happen to have this stripe right in the middle (http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/9219/11887961011105748.jpg). Another thing you need to pay attention to is the back. There are two things to watch out for: no overlap (only a few Vans releases have no ovelap, for example Brooks (need more examples)) and Off The Wall tag. Fake tag is less detailed, lettering is not as legible as in legit Vans, and the skateboard is off. Pay attention to the size of the tag - fakes tend to have oversized tag that is as big as first layer of the rubber. Speaking of rubber - it's usually thinner in fakesr.

- Colorways and materials. Fakes are produced in a lot of non existing cw's, some of them imitate vintage cw's, some are just straight outta designer's ass :lol: Pay attention to the details like color of the eyelets and the foxing stripe! If you don't know the name of the cw, check vanscollector.com or vans.com shop or just google typing in all the colors on the shoe and all the variations, like checkerboard. Materials used in fakes have worse quality, they wrinkle. Leather has this little dicks :lol: , I don't know how to call them (http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/9080/jpn12.jpg).

- Lacing. Like most nike fakes, fake Vans are laced like this: first two laceholes, then large space, and then one hole at the end.

- Insole logo. Letters are much slimmer than in legit logos, so it's really easy to tell which one is fake.

- Hangtag. Recent general releases have hangtags with Vans skateboard on them (hangtags in Pro versions have design that matches the shoe, Hosois have hangtags with Rising Sun etc.). They're also cut to match the Vans skateboard silhoulette. This is the only tag Vans uses nowadays. Older Vans have a rectangular tag with Vans skateboard on it. Most fakes, if not all, also. Fakes may also have a Vans sign in a ellipse.

4. Remember - samples are not fakes!

That's all I can come up with for now. I also heard that fake Vans come with shitty boxes, but never seen one.

Need you guys' ideas and grammar'n'shit check, cause there's probably a lot of mistakes :lol:
Last edited by Crimson Ghost on Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:31 pm, edited 11 times in total.
rocketgoof
UTPL General
UTPL General

Re: Vans Fake Guide

Post by rocketgoof »

This is awesome! I will definitely look over this more in depth next chance I get and see if you missed anything, but so far it seems you've got all the bases covered.

The one thing I have noticed is that the navy/black pair of old skool's on the Vans site has 7 eyelets...
http://shop.vans.com/catalog/Vans/en_US ... skool.html

However, that's the only authentic pair of Vans I've seen like that since I started looking. I should look over some of my old pairs to see if maybe that's something that's changed over the years...

Awesome job, though, dude!

And holy crap, those half cabs look terrible! haha Actually, all of 'em look terrible, but the half cabs are probably the worst made of the bunch.

Is it bad that I'm semi-tempted to grab a fake pair just cuz I'm that much of a collector? haha
Hello, my name is Kyle and I'm addicted to Vans. I'm a size 9.5 or 10.

Looking for Supreme Disruptive Era's (any color, but especially teal), Supreme dark teal pebbled leather chukka, navy GR Zero Lo's...

@IAmRocketKyle on the instagramz.
Crimson Ghost
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by Crimson Ghost »

Thanks for positive feedback ;)

I've came up with another thing, tho I can't really describe it (my english skills failed :lol:). Lacing. Like most of nike fakes, some fake Vans are laced like first two laceholes, then large space, and then one hole at the end. You get the idea? Someone needs to re-write it in user-friendly english :lol:
And one more thing - layers of rubber in fakes are usually thinner than in real Vans.
rocketgoof
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by rocketgoof »

Any picture evidence of the lace-hole thing? Like, when people take pictures of them they lace them that way?

Looking for Supreme Disruptive Era's (any color, but especially teal), Supreme dark teal pebbled leather chukka, navy GR Zero Lo's...

Crimson Ghost
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by Crimson Ghost »

:lol: Check out the wave :lol:
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

Nice job man! Also take note on the sticker/hangtag that is attached to the fakes, as well as the inner sole printing:
Inner Sole logo:
Vans Font:
Smooth heel tab:
Does that OTW logo on the sticker look a little disproportionate? (someone forgot to hold down the "ctrl" key when stretching their logo in photoshop!)
Crimson Ghost
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by Crimson Ghost »

Damn I forget so obvious things :lol: Was gonna write about them.
Crimson Ghost
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by Crimson Ghost »

Ok, I think I got everything covered. Someone check for mistakes, please.
rocketgoof
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by rocketgoof »

Those plaid sk8-mid's are actually kinda sweet... Too bad they're fakes, haha.

You could also add that the half cab logo on the side often seems to be printed right on the leather in most fakes, rather than being on a sewn on patch.

Do you have any photo examples of the vans skateboard in the hangtag?

Crimson Ghost
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by Crimson Ghost »

This is how GR hangtag should look like

Not a rectangular piece of paper with OTW skateboard printed on it.
That's what I meant, but as usual my english skills failed :lol:
rocketgoof
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by rocketgoof »

Oooh, I was thinking of the hangtag as the tag that hangs off the binding that stays on the shoe (does that make sense? haha). The square sticker tag isn't always a signal it's a fake though, any Vans that are 4-5 years old and on had those... I feel like my last pair of custom Vans came with a square tag, too? But yeah, the cut-out OTW sticker is only a couple years old now. The sticker that's on that American flag pair of fakes up there was the sticker that came on all my legit pairs of Vans for years, so they must've copied that one.

FTHATIMFAMOUS
UTPL Colonel
UTPL Colonel

Post by FTHATIMFAMOUS »

Spotted some fakes today.

Fake full cabs, but with the Half Cab label, over all quality and shape is off and so are the colorways, I do like the colorways though, it sucks that sometimes to fakers have the coolest colors.

BRAND NEW 2010 STYLE VANS CHUKKA SKATE Shoes 4 Colors:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-2010-STYL ... 5889cd6376

I checked to see what else the guy was selling and he has a lot of Vans all clearly fake.

Happyseller16888:
http://shop.ebay.com/happyseller16888/m ... ksid=p4340

Same seller a little less obvious, Peecoat Chukkas. Be careful out there, this is the first I've come across that looked pretty good. And is legit colorway. They're catching on, it won't be long until we see fake Supremes, Simpsons, Vaults and Syndicates.

BRAND NEW 2010 STYLE VANS CHUKKA SKATE Shoes 3 Colors:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-2010-STYL ... 5889cd5a4d
FTHATIMFAMOUS
-SoCal
-Size 9, 9.5
-Vouch
-Listing
-Wanted
-Blog
-Twitter

Crimson Ghost
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by Crimson Ghost »

FTHATIMFAMOUS wrote:BRAND NEW 2010 STYLE VANS CHUKKA SKATE Shoes 3 Colors:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-2010-STYL ... 5889cd5a4d

Damn :shock: It's getting pretty serious.
I've added that seller to the list.
hairil
UTPL Sergeant
UTPL Sergeant

Post by hairil »

mann...
just looking at these fakes, it makes me nauseous.
there's this blog which claims that they are selling legit Vans shoes bcoz (and I quote) "they come with the box and tag".
http://thecottonstore.blogspot.com
and sadly, it's based in the country where I'm from.
damnn.
US 7.5 - US 8
Yes, I have small feet.
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

Here's another hint"
"
-Please get a bigger size than usual as sizes are small, we will not be responsible if the sizes you ordered does not suit you."