Calling all GREAT artists for an upcoming OTWS art showcase!

Post up your artistic work here.
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Calling all GREAT artists for an upcoming OTWS art showcase!

Post by DJGuamstyles »

Update (5/8): Here's the latest flyer, with address. We'll be making more with other brands that will be supporting our show, through donations of stuff, or just promoting it:

Update (4/25): We've came up with a name for the art event:
Waffurusōru
ワッフルソール
"An artistic exhibition of Vans sneaker culture"
(Waffurusōru is the Japanese word for Wafflesole)

Official Artist Call is listed HERE. Please click on it, and read the instructions for requirements for the exhibit. I'm really looking forward to seeing what some of you guys are going to create. This show is going to be awesome!

Hey guys, I just wanted to put this out there that Ryanskeet, Lazywork, and I are in talks with Yojie Japanese Fondue of Diamond Bar, about putting together a showcase of Vans related art, that will be displayed (and possibly for sale) at their new Diamond Bar location. Some of you may have seen their latest collaborations with RIF.LA, Diamond, and a few other notable ones, and we are fortunate to be given an opportunity to work with them as well. I've asked a few of you already, to see if you'd want to contribute a lil' something, inspired by Vans, in your own style. With Vans, the sky's the limit in term of inspiration. It could be specific to a certain shoe, or it could be not so specific, like a waffle sole pattern, or jazz stripe, or checkerboard that inspires you. I know a few of you are into graphic design, or graffiti, or painting, or photography, or vinyl toys, or rare pieces of Vans merchandise (vintage, samples, canvas, etc). All mediums are welcome, and I will "sprinkle" some notable shoes throughout the displays, and showcase a few of the shop collab shoes that have been down with us for awhile. It's still in it's infancy stage, and we don't even know how we will lay everything out, but first things first, is we need some artists to commit to us, so we can fill the walls. I want our first impression to be a dope one, and if we do things right, it will be...and it may open up more opportunities for us in the future. The show will be some time in June, which is pretty short notice, and it will run for about a month, until their next installment. Let's make a lasting impression on Vans, the sneaker community, and just people in general.

(I appreciate all of you, but please understand, we will be reviewing all contributions to ensure you have some skills. There's way too many thirsty individuals out there these days, who just want attention, and this isn't an outlet for you. It's for OTWS. This will be up for everyone to see.)

If you're more into the graphic arts, then you can even create stuff digitally, upload and order it online at the FedEx Office website, and have it printed at my local FedEx Kinkos store, where I can pick it up. They can print your artwork on poster boards in various sizes:

18" x 24" - $39.99
22" x 28" - $69.99 (on sale for $34.99) + 15% off with an online promo code!
24" x 36" - $84.99 (on sale for $42.49)
36" x 48" - $129.99
They even have photo gloss printing available in 18x24 for $45.

I created something that I will be picking up tomorrow, in a 22x28 size, and if it comes out good, then I'll let you all know. If I'm not happy, then I will redo it in a photo gloss version.

If you don't know about Yojie's, then check out a few of these photos and links below, to see what they do:

Diamond Bar location Grand Opening Video

http://swishersociety.com/2013/02/05/yo ... amond-bar/

Holy brand collab Bat Man!
Ballin'
Astro Boyee!
Decks on Decks
MF HectoOR
UTPL Colonel
UTPL Colonel

Re: Calling all GREAT artists for an upcoming OTWS art showc

Post by MF HectoOR »

Sounds legit! I'll be all in on contributing something just not sure what yet haha
MF HectoOR
sz 9.5-10.5

Shoes For Sale [Updated 04.23.12]
Filson Slip On sz.9
Looking to Buy/Trade [Updated 04.23.12] - Looking for NECKFACE & Taka Hayashi's
OTWS Feedback
NSB Feedback
ISS/SC Feedback
Vandol
UTPL Major
UTPL Major

Post by Vandol »

Sounds like a good time, Maybe I'll submit some stuff for review
9.5-10.5
SYNICATE
005 Era
006 Sk8-Hi/ Era
015 Sk8-Mid Black
018 Era
IG: @mikeythirty
FS:1
wolfstrice09
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by wolfstrice09 »

I'd be down to do somethin.

Also I know its not my art but I would consider lending my Taka Hayashi print.
sz12
Vandol
UTPL Major
UTPL Major

Post by Vandol »

thats a dope print^^

make a copy its too precious ha
9.5-10.5
SYNICATE
005 Era
006 Sk8-Hi/ Era
015 Sk8-Mid Black
018 Era
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

Dude, wolfs...that Taka print would be dope! You could send it to me in a mailing tube. I'd gladly display it in a floating frame or something that I have. This is the kind of stuff I'm thinking of. One off, unique pieces that a few of you may have, that could be proudly displayed. I'll add a caption to it as well, and who contributed it. I'm trying to get some cool stuff that's Vans related, that local shops have. I already have my eye on a few things, that hopefully they will be willing to let me borrow.
rocketgoof
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by rocketgoof »

When is this going to be? I could be up for doing something for it! It'd be a good excuse to try to do one of the Vans-related projects I've thought of over the years but haven't done yet... What type of stuff are you looking for? Or basically anything in any format that's Vans-related?
Hello, my name is Kyle and I'm addicted to Vans. I'm a size 9.5 or 10.

Looking for Supreme Disruptive Era's (any color, but especially teal), Supreme dark teal pebbled leather chukka, navy GR Zero Lo's...

@IAmRocketKyle on the instagramz.
luisnskates
UTPL Captain
UTPL Captain

Post by luisnskates »

Is this something you would want? I posted this way back. I sent neckface $5 as a joke and he sent back the paper I wrote on with a drawing on it. I have a neckface baker board as well in my garage if it's something you want to use.

Last edited by luisnskates on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

That personal note is dope, Luis! Do you happen to have any Neckface Vans? Sk8-Hi's, Chukka Lows, Simpsons...that would tie in your personal artwork to the exhibit? It could be an awesome contribution and representation of you and OTWS. I could also use my Neckface x Simpsons Chukkas. Wolf's print is a little more easier to display on it's own because it already has Vans in the artwork. I plan on having a lil' Taka section to display all of his stuff.
luisnskates
UTPL Captain
UTPL Captain

Post by luisnskates »

DJGuamstyles wrote:That personal note is dope, Luis! Do you happen to have any Neckface Vans? Sk8-Hi's, Chukka Lows, Simpsons...that would tie in your personal artwork to the exhibit? It could be an awesome contribution and representation of you and OTWS. I could also use my Neckface x Simpsons Chukkas. Wolf's print is a little more easier to display on it's own because it already has Vans in the artwork. I plan on having a lil' Taka section to display all of his stuff.
Sadly I don't. I'll see if I can dig anything else up though, but feel free to use the note or board if its something that works for you.
MF HectoOR
UTPL Colonel
UTPL Colonel

Post by MF HectoOR »

^^^^

I got the Neck sk8hi's, Dustin Dollins and Tnt 2... And the Neck Vans Hoodie plus done other various neck apparel.... Haha

I got the vans x cvlt handle grips on my motorcycle? Lol
MF HectoOR
sz 9.5-10.5

Filson Slip On sz.9
OTWS Feedback
NSB Feedback
ISS/SC Feedback
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

LoL about them grips...yeah let's display your bike! JK, but I'll think about the shoes. I don't want this to be a big shoe display event. There will be shoes scattered throughout the show, to sort of accompany pieces of art, or items, but I want it to be mostly stuff that can hang on the walls.

BTW here's my contribution. Made it in photoshop and then had FedEx/Kinko's print it for $36. 22x28 foam posterboard. I need to print full color posters, to give out at the show, but I got a quote for $11 a poster, wtf?! That ain't worth it to me. Is that a standard price for a 22x28 poster? Who here can get them done for cheaper than that?

Some of you guys made it to the poster, lol.
Vandol
UTPL Major
UTPL Major

Post by Vandol »

Some canvas or wood will have to do then.

Poster looks good even though I didnt make the cut hah :evil:
9.5-10.5
SYNICATE
005 Era
006 Sk8-Hi/ Era
015 Sk8-Mid Black
018 Era
MF HectoOR
UTPL Colonel
UTPL Colonel

Post by MF HectoOR »

Lol yeah we can display my bike. It's like a chopper... Always ride with just my vans, but it'll be a big piece for just the handle grips lol
MF HectoOR
sz 9.5-10.5

Filson Slip On sz.9
OTWS Feedback
NSB Feedback
ISS/SC Feedback
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

I posted up a link to the ARTIST CALL for the event. Check it out, and let me know what y'all think! We are currently sourcing support from Bait, In4mation, Blends, and praying for Vans to get involved. How freakin' awesome would that be?!

http://www.offthewallsite.net/wp-conten ... RTISTS.png