Urgent: We need to come up with a new name for OTWS asap!!!

Post suggestions as to what would help out this forum
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Urgent: We need to come up with a new name for OTWS asap!!!

Post by DJGuamstyles »

So yeah...I finally got that dreaded phone call from Vans legal this morning. It was a phone call, that I'm sure was a long time coming, and I wasn't surprised, as I've been given the heads up from our friend Chris "chrishatesyoujk" at Vans OTW for many months now. Of course, they all love what we do, but the suits up top have no idea of what cool is, but they do know about people trying to use them and make money off of them. Our tees and stuff is probably what got them to finally contact me. We've sort of been given the special treatment all this time, and rightfully so. We're the groupies...the fan base...the fanatics...and THE REAL AMBASSADORS, not some celebrities who could give two shits about Vans. The main thing is the name. We already don't use any trademarks in any designs. We did, when I first started out, but that was because I didn't know any better. Remember the OTW and "S" logo we started out with? It was about as lame as it could get, and we eventually gained our own identity, but the name was a legacy name. I carried on the torch, and that's how people found us again. Well, I think it's safe to say that we've came far, and have pretty much done what we came here to do. With that, we need to keep our core group alive, and our purpose going. Vans wants it to keep going, (duh), BUT we need to evolve, and the only thing holding us back, is our name. Offthewallsite and OTWS are infringing on Vans' trademarks. Simple as that. BUT, we can fix this by just coming up with a new name to represent us, while still representing Vans. I NEED IDEAS! I have always wanted this to be a community based forum. That's what makes us different. Let's get some words and ideas out there that can rep the big waffle sole brand, without using their name. I would rather die than have a site named "coolkicks4you", or "sneakersite", because that's just dumb. But think about it, and let's collaborate on our next step. This has to happen soon, and the sooner, the better. We can establish ourselves properly, without fear of having our heads held to the ground with a waffle sole, or Timberland boot, or Nautica boat shoe (references to a few VFC corp. brands that they own, lol). Thanks guys...

Billy aka Guamstyles
akamedaniel
UTPL General
UTPL General

Re: Urgent: We need to come up with a new name for OTWS asa

Post by akamedaniel »

waffleheads
wafflefam
since66
66society
union66..
Sz 12
WANTED:
- Vault Leather & Flannel SK8-Hi (Brown)
- Supreme Checkerboard & Corduroy Authentic (Blue, Green, or Red)
- Syndicate Carhartt WIP Old Skool (Brown, Camo or Black) *Size 11.5
- Syndicate Mister Cartoon Authentic (Any Color)
- Vault Cuerpo LX (Monks Robe)
- Vault x Taka Hayashi x Billy Kirk SK8-Hi
All size 12 DS//VNDS//NDS
$$$$$$$
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

Being that I live in Glendora, right where Route 66 passes through, I like those 66 references. I can play on that, with designs, art shows, and of course the year Vans was created. Here's a few similar ones (bold ones are my favorite, and will look good on designs, and it represents a group still):

thewafflesociety
waffletimes
thewaffleclique (definition of clique: In the social sciences, a clique (CanE, UK /ˈkliːk/ or US /ˈklɪk/) is a group of "persons who interact with each other more regularly and intensely than others in the same setting."[1] Interacting with cliques is part of normative social development regardless of gender, ethnicity, or popularity. Although cliques are most commonly studied during adolescence and middle childhood, they exist in all age groups.)
clique66
offthewaffle (Damn, already a coffee shop in Eugene, OR. WTH, Vans let this one fly?!)
wafflegang (taken on IG)

Just in case, I created thewafflesociety and thewaffleclique IG accounts, and emails.
tmrsn
UTPL Colonel
UTPL Colonel

Post by tmrsn »

Double Six Posse
Sixty Six Jazz
Skate High
The Authentic Era
The 1966 California Skateboard Shoe Collector Community
UNOFFICIAL Off The Wall Site
Look The Other Way We Are Paying Your Bills Dot Com
Sins 66
66 To Infinity
Wafflecom
Waffle Kids
Super Waffle
Waffledocious
The Old School Authentic Waffle Era 3000
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

"Look The Other Way We Are Paying Your Bills Dot Com" LoL! We at least help keep these damn Vans relevant!

I'm liking that "waffledocious". Something a little whacky, that sticks. Also, being a hip-hop head, I like that "66 'til Infinity" joint. That could be a slogan on a t-shirt. Vans designers are notorious for jacking shit, so expect that on their tees soon. "The Authentic Era" is also hella dope. Has a few meanings, you know? I reserved that one as well.
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

Since today's cyber monday, there's a sale on domains from bluehost, my webhosting service, so I purchased theauthenticera.com, and thewafflesociety.com. I hate to jump the gun on this, but either of those felt great to me. One as a stand alone blog, and the other as our community. Perhaps "TWS" the waffle society will play into our old OTWS, and we can still run that campaign somehow. What could represent the "O"?
akamedaniel
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by akamedaniel »

DJGuamstyles wrote:Perhaps "TWS" the waffle society will play into our old OTWS, and we can still run that campaign somehow. What could represent the "O"?
If you flip the letters you could have The Original Waffle Society.
Can't think of an 'O' that could go before 'The'..
maybe:
Originals, The Waffle Society
Ode to The Waffle Society
Organization That We Started
Outcasts That Wear Shoes :lol:
Sz 12
WANTED:
- Vault Leather & Flannel SK8-Hi (Brown)
- Supreme Checkerboard & Corduroy Authentic (Blue, Green, or Red)
- Syndicate Carhartt WIP Old Skool (Brown, Camo or Black) *Size 11.5
- Syndicate Mister Cartoon Authentic (Any Color)
- Vault Cuerpo LX (Monks Robe)
- Vault x Taka Hayashi x Billy Kirk SK8-Hi
All size 12 DS//VNDS//NDS
$$$$$$$
tmrsn
UTPL Colonel
UTPL Colonel

Post by tmrsn »

Otherwise They Will Sue.

Or They Will Sue
Originally They Wanted Sex
Occasionally Them Walrus Stink
Oranges Tangerines Watermelons Strawberries
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

Oh man, tmrsn you're good at this.

Otherwise They Will Sue! Love it.
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

So far, I'm leaning towards having two separate names. TheAuthenticEra and TheWaffleSociety both seem to be heading in the right direction. Each one representing different entities of ourselves.

TheAuthenticEra (or whatever it ends up being) could be our media platform. The Blog, videos, shoe info, etc. Our clothing and product label as well.

TheWaffleSociety (or whatever it ends up being) could be our social platform. The Forum, Instagram, Twitter, our events that we throw, and our official support channel.

How do these names fit? I wish more guys were signed on, to give their input, but I need to take care of this like, yesterday!! I'm also asking for Vans' legal department to see if they are fine with these names. They should be. They don't infringe on any of their copyrights, due to having words that are pretty generic in them, when taken out of context. Only we (as well as Vans fans) know their meaning, and that's the point.
chrisVH
UTPL Colonel
UTPL Colonel

Post by chrisVH »

I'm liking both Bill. The waffle society I think is a nice fit.
Chris
Looking to buy vans size 9.5-10.5
Instagram: puzzlechris
SlipOnFiend
UTPL Major
UTPL Major

Post by SlipOnFiend »

The waffle society has my vote!
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

Great. I'd like more input from more of you!!!
SlipOnFiend
UTPL Major
UTPL Major

Post by SlipOnFiend »

I guess I understand, but I feel like companies shouldn't be allowed to copyright phrases like. What about On The Wall Site? haha
acoustic_rancid
UTPL Captain
UTPL Captain

Post by acoustic_rancid »

I like the suggestions coming through, and I don't really have anything better, but I'm wondering -

What kind of click-thru rates are you getting on those Vans banners / posts you have on the site? Any way to leverage that against being able to click the name? I know you get compensated through those if people end up buying things, but still.