Shipping Q&A

Anything goes...put on your flame suit!
rocketgoof
UTPL General
UTPL General

Shipping Q&A

Post by rocketgoof »

I figured I'd start this thread so people can discuss different forms of shipping methods, fair shipping prices, what to do in the event that something goes awry in the shipping process, and anything else related to the matter.

So, my most recent question is that I won some shoes off ebay, shipping was $18.99 (which is the highest I've ever paid for shipping for one pair of shoes from a US seller) and when I received the shoes, the shipping sticker said it was $10.72. Now, the shoes weren't double boxed and were shipped in a plastic bag that had been cut and taped to fit around the box. I contacted the seller to ask if he'd refund the extra $8 (I know, it's kind of petty, but that is a 44% hike for shipping). He responded that the rest of it was to cover other fees. Now, I've shipped shoes before so I know what all goes into the process. I understand that there are paypal fees, but that's part of the game when selling stuff on ebay. Do you guys think I should pursue it or let it be?

The lack of double boxing was annoying in it's own right, let alone that hike in shipping...
Hello, my name is Kyle and I'm addicted to Vans. I'm a size 9.5 or 10.

Looking for Supreme Disruptive Era's (any color, but especially teal), Supreme dark teal pebbled leather chukka, navy GR Zero Lo's...

@IAmRocketKyle on the instagramz.
FTHATIMFAMOUS
UTPL Colonel
UTPL Colonel

Re: Shipping Q&A

Post by FTHATIMFAMOUS »

People have been exploiting the cost of shipping for a while, and everyone is doing it, there are even auctions out there for $1 BIN + $500 shipping. It's just a way to squeeze a couple of dollars out of you. Really it shouldn't ever cost very much more than $10 to ship some shoes. I just go with it, I just think of it as 1 whole cost, I dont think I bought the shoes for $100 + $10, I just think I bought the shoes for $110, if I'm cool with that then I'm cool with that, if I'm not then I did'nt really need them, and I shouldnt have bought them in the first place. I do think people should be courtious and double box should be the standard in shipping shoes. It's just good business.

As far as personal experience goes, I've only recieved shoes shipped with a taped box twice, I was upset at first, but I thought back and the seller never agreed to double box, so I think it's important to think about that. I was upset when the guy turned the box inside out then taped and shipped. I guess it makes the damage reversable, but NIB means NIB.

Don't be suprised if the guy doesn't reply or says no, just brush it off, keep doing your thing and it'll come back to him. Someone somewhere might not buy from him in the future because of this. It might cost him way more than he saved. Know what I mean?
FTHATIMFAMOUS
-SoCal
-Size 9, 9.5
-Vouch
-Listing
-Wanted
-Blog
-Twitter

DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

People who are saavy to eBay understand that sellers hike up shipping to not get docked as much on fees. ALWAYS look at your totals. I get emails all the time from buyers, when I mark stuff low, and shipping high. They're like "I don't understand why you charge so much for shipping", and in my head, I'm like "bitch, did you really think you were gonna get some Supreme Vans for $20?". Go take that noise back to the Penny Saver that you're used to shopping from! :P
FTHATIMFAMOUS
UTPL Colonel
UTPL Colonel

Post by FTHATIMFAMOUS »

Hahaha. Yeah. It's all part of the online shopping experience. Just go with it.
FTHATIMFAMOUS
-SoCal
-Size 9, 9.5
-Vouch
-Listing
-Wanted
-Blog
-Twitter

rocketgoof
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by rocketgoof »

Yeah, that's what I figure. It's not a huge issue, especially since I got the shoes at a good deal. I've bought plenty of shoes off ebay over the years and this is the biggest discrepancy I've ever seen over the price of shipping that was charged and what was actually paid. I've also shipped plenty over the years and have never charged that much over, so I guess it was just one of those things that annoyed me, especially since it wasn't double boxed. I think the lack of double boxing is what was the kicker for me to actually take an issue with it. If it was a pair of GR's, its not as big of an issue, but for a pair of shoes with a unique box, I figure that's just standard and respectful.

Looking for Supreme Disruptive Era's (any color, but especially teal), Supreme dark teal pebbled leather chukka, navy GR Zero Lo's...

FTHATIMFAMOUS
UTPL Colonel
UTPL Colonel

Post by FTHATIMFAMOUS »

This is about the Huf Chukkas, right?
FTHATIMFAMOUS
-SoCal
-Size 9, 9.5
-Vouch
-Listing
-Wanted
-Blog
-Twitter

skorone
UTPL Major
UTPL Major

Post by skorone »

Yeah i think we could go on and on about shipping for days. Just recently i got somethig of ebay for my wife. Seller charged me 11 for shipping which is not bad at all, BUT the postage sticker said 4.90 . Now i wasn't like i need a refund but just a little pissed inside, i know the seller probably put that price because thats the highest he figured it would be in the US , just so happened he was in Santa ana and me in SD so it was cheap . Plus i got a $100 brand new item for 36 total , so how could i be upset. I guess thats just the way it works.

NOW sometimes on ISS, HB, even here i think people should not set a shipping price but decide the cost based on the sellers and buyers locations. I mean a pair of shoes from LA to SD or even form anywhere in Cali can not be any more than 10 and thats priority with delivery confirmation. Yet some fools are charging 15+, just the other day i sent a pair to Garden Grove Priority for 6.67 not bad at all . But someone earlier said shipping cant be anymore than $10 , now within your state that is true , but lets say form LA to NY it can reach 16+ with a syndicate box , and then the buyer is stressing on it getting to him/her with the quickness you have to go priority and thats a few $$ more.

Anyways thats all from me for now , but i say the GOLDEN RULE should always be treat others the way you would want to be treated, with honesty and integrity , it will get you far.
...TEAM OTWS...

skorone.wordpress.com

RIP DSYFR
magas
UTPL Major
UTPL Major

Post by magas »

FTHATIMFAMOUS wrote:This is about the Huf Chukkas, right?

were you talking about me?
I LIKE IT ROUND LIKE THE MOON
FTHATIMFAMOUS
UTPL Colonel
UTPL Colonel

Post by FTHATIMFAMOUS »

magas wrote:
FTHATIMFAMOUS wrote:This is about the Huf Chukkas, right?

were you talking about me?

O, sorry, was it you that got the cheap Huf Chukkas, but wasnt happy with the boxing and shipping? I dont remember who, I just sounds like a similiar story.
FTHATIMFAMOUS
-SoCal
-Size 9, 9.5
-Vouch
-Listing
-Wanted
-Blog
-Twitter

magas
UTPL Major
UTPL Major

Post by magas »

yea it was me. hehe.
rocketgoof
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by rocketgoof »

Haha, yeah, seeing the HUF chukkas story, then getting my PE's shipped to me in a taped up plastic bag for way less than I was charged for shipping is what sorta caused me to get bugged about it. 90% of the time I'm overcharged for shipping, it's just never been that much for such a crappy shipping method. It's usually like $1 or $2. But yeah, that's also part of why I started the thread, since I know there are varying viewpoints on the subject and I was wondering if I should be feeling as irked as I was. If they'd been double boxed, I also probably wouldn't have taken as much issue with it.

The dude and I messaged back and forth a bit and I understand his game and he understands where I'm coming from. I guess part of it was also the "treat others the way you want to be treated" since I personally haven't shipped like that before. I mean, after paypal and ebay fees, that can eat up part of your profit, so I understand where he's coming from, it's just that I've always seen that as part of the deal when you sell stuff on ebay. You're using a service, you have to pay a little for it.

magas
UTPL Major
UTPL Major

Post by magas »

if it is from ebay. give him a negative feedback
5150marley
UTPL Major
UTPL Major

Post by 5150marley »

I got a pair in the mail from Journeys and it was double boxed and the Vans box was still beat to hell...

I also ordered a pair from Eastbay and they told me they couldnt double box them UNLESS they were collectible like the Jordans.

I informed the employee that some of the signature Vans were probably worth more than Jordans.

Then she backpedaled and said they could but it would be classified as a gift box and would be a few bucks more.

With the Eastbay order I expect the Vans box to be stuff in a plastic mail bag... hopefully they are alright when they reach me.
"The past is frozen ,the future is vapor. The moment is liquid" -unknown

-Size 8.5 (old skools) or 9 (for anything mid or Half Cab styles)... 8 (for slip-ons)
rocketgoof
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by rocketgoof »

Really? I ordered some shoes from Eastbay back in January and they arrived in a box, although it was two pairs...

DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

Thanks for the heads up on Eastbay. Never ordered anything from them, but if they can't ship in a box, I don't need to order from them! Nothing special over there!