Post by wolfstrice09 »

figured I'd rename the topic now lol
sz12
luisnskates
UTPL Captain
UTPL Captain

Re: Syndicate box tops

Post by luisnskates »

FTHATIMFAMOUS wrote:I've been looking for the big bags. But haven't found anything nice heard it's just as helpful with less down side. I usually just wrap the shoes in a target bag or what Evers around before boxing if I'm concerned about them. Can some one link me to some bags?
Here are some of the bigger zip lock bags. I've seen some at Target.

http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/Pr ... oodStorage
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Re: Shoe Storage

Post by DJGuamstyles »

Don't go to Target and get the brand named Ziplock bags, cause you'll go broke doing it that way. Don't even go to Uline, because they are a ripoff! Just go on eBay. I've listed a few examples below.

Use this site to find the sizes that most ziplock bags are made in:
http://www.uline.com/BL_208/2-Mil-Reclo ... ock%20bags

and here's some eBay pages that are up right now:

Pack of 50 18x20 2 MIL Ziplock reclosable bags BIN $10.99 + $7.95 shipping (they're pretty heavy)
http://cgi.ebay.com/50-18X20-2-MIL-ZIPL ... 5ad18577d6
silokinesis
UTPL Major
UTPL Major

Re: Syndicate box tops

Post by silokinesis »

DJGuamstyles wrote:Brant, I'm no expert on this subject, but the way you got it going, should be fine. It's mostly when they're sealed, with a gel pack inside, cause theoretically there should be no more moisture getting inside the bag, so the gel packs are drawing all the moisture from whatever is available. I don't think Vans will suffer from this as badly, however the glue will yellow, as we've all seen with some of the older Syndicates. Look at all those vintage pairs all over eBay. They are 20+ years old and are still flexible, and look good.
Makes sense...I wasnt too worried about vans as you said...they hold up well. (its the early sb's i am trying to keep as fresh as possible, or say Mf dooms etc w/ the clear sole especially.) I have to be careful w/ vans though, if a customer ever grabs the sole, and they go back in the box...12 months later ill notice a slight yellowing, but thats all due to oils on their hand, etc. And its obvious that light hurts, but even through the shop window, far away from any direct light, i had a couple pair of syndicate old skool mids that turned almost a neon mustard, brown even...so far beyond yellow it was insane. I sold em to a kid for 5 bucks and after a day of skating in them he pretty much wore it all off and they looked fresh again.

Syndicate also I am careful with at least the first couple seasons releases, as they were packaged in what amounts to basically carbon paper...so if the shoe has had rough travel, the sole is blacked out....Ive mainly seen it on a bunch of taka chukkas, and a few cartoon authentics...
Silo. authorized vans syndicate dealer -current release available via http://shop.silostore.com! Or PM for previous releases...
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

Oh that's right, cause my Mtn. Edition lows, and hemp half cabs both have that black paper. Back before they used the drawer boxes. I will go put those in ziplocks ASAP, hehe. That's funny about the yellowing, but yeah any clear sole shoe, is going to yellow. Keep those in ziplocks, and far away from sunlight, and oxygen. The yellowing is oxidation. It can be treated somewhat, with Sea Glow. Jordan guys are the masters of using this. Here's a link to write-up on how it works: http://www.solecollector.com/forums/ult ... 85188.html . Scroll down to #10, and #11. You'll see some amazing results from this stuff. I imagine it will do wonders on Vans. If anyone has a pair of Vans with some bad glue yellowing, you should try this stuff out, then let us know. Don't do it on a prized pair, of course!
luisnskates
UTPL Captain
UTPL Captain

Post by luisnskates »

DJGuamstyles wrote:Don't go to Target and get the brand named Ziplock bags, cause you'll go broke doing it that way. Don't even go to Uline, because they are a ripoff! Just go on eBay. I've listed a few examples below.

Use this site to find the sizes that most ziplock bags are made in:
http://www.uline.com/BL_208/2-Mil-Reclo ... ock%20bags

and here's some eBay pages that are up right now:

Pack of 50 18x20 2 MIL Ziplock reclosable bags BIN $10.99 + $7.95 shipping (they're pretty heavy)
http://cgi.ebay.com/50-18X20-2-MIL-ZIPL ... 5ad18577d6
Thanks for the heads up Guam :D
Derek
UTPL Captain
UTPL Captain

Post by Derek »

Should I be worried about my 005 W)Taps?
FTHATIMFAMOUS
UTPL Colonel
UTPL Colonel

Post by FTHATIMFAMOUS »

I haven't seen any 005s with major yellowing. But some stuff goes fast. My 08 supreme mountains have some yellowing. And a few newer models. Mostly samples. I think the previous owners didn't store them properly or something. I have a few doubles or back up pairs that I'm trying to preserve to be as fresh as possible for when it's time to bring them out. I had a big problem with the black paper on the usugrows. It rubbed off alot on my midsoles. But after some wear they cleared up/rubbed off. What ever. It was replaces with red clay. :(. Thanks for the info on the bags though. Ill get some asap.
FTHATIMFAMOUS
-SoCal
-Size 9, 9.5
-Vouch
-Listing
-Wanted
-Blog
-Twitter

DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

I just re-upped on them as well. Bought a 100 pack of 20x14.
luisnskates
UTPL Captain
UTPL Captain

Post by luisnskates »

I'm going to stock a pair of my wtaps mids and was wondering if I should bag those and throw out the silica packs, or leave them as they are in the bag/box with the silica. They came with two packs of silica. One in the wtaps bag, and the other in the box.
Panic
UTPL Sergeant
UTPL Sergeant

Post by Panic »

Great tips in here. I am going to get some of those Ziplocks as well.

I never paid much attention to properly store my shoes. Most of my shoes are just out there on shoe racks all over the house. Even shoes I only wear during summertime.

Time to take a better care of them.
FTHATIMFAMOUS
UTPL Colonel
UTPL Colonel

Post by FTHATIMFAMOUS »

Yeah, you invest so much in shoes, I think it's only right to take care of them. I know some people keep them in those plastic bins like tupperware, I never did it, I dont know why I'd pay for a shoe box, but has anyone here done that? I know it looks cool, but does it keep the shoes from collecting dust or prevent any damage?
FTHATIMFAMOUS
-SoCal
-Size 9, 9.5
-Vouch
-Listing
-Wanted
-Blog
-Twitter

DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

Those clear shoe boxes are for display purposes, and if you don't have a grip of pairs, or if you just got mad money to spend on that stuff. Even those small bins can add up. At like $2-3 a bin, just count your pairs, and double that price. And what do you do with all your boxes then? Just be careful when stacking Vans that are in the thin boxes. They will give out over time. They're just too heavy. Try to get shelving racks so that you are only stacking 3 or 4 high on each shelf. Silica packs are fine when brand new, but if you're gonna store your kicks for awhile, then take out the gel packs, and just use the ziplock bag.
ryanskeet
UTPL Captain
UTPL Captain

Post by ryanskeet »

I really wish I could get a shelving unit, but it'd just take up way to much space.. If only I had more room in the garage/storage that'd be nice.

Im using the shoes under from target ($10). What do you think about them? Although they are really cheap (material wise) & inexpensive I'm using these for the shoes that don't have boxes. Also what I've noticed is that they are more ideal for low top shoes and if your bigger than 11.. good luck cause these things won't hold your shoes. I've also constructed them so that instead of holding 12 pairs it holds 6 for the bigger & bulkier shoes.. I just like the convenience of sliding it underneath my bed, but with 3 i'm already running out of room.

These are my low tops in the shoes under (as you can see the chukkas on the top right dont even fit under one slot)

And these are the high tops/bulkier shoes

I'm using it as a temporary storage unit. Now that I think about it though it's really difficult to hold the vans together in these..
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

Kinda neat, but you've seen my inventory...I need a garage, hehe.